Saturday, January 29, 2011

DIY: Beauty Masks

Are you annoyed by spending money on masks that don't work?  They may dry out skin or irritate skin, etc.  Research for a recipe that involves using your favorite food or food that you have in your kitchen.  There's very little effort needed to make them.  Here are some natural ways to make a mask by using food.




Brea:
For the homemade facial mask, I decided to try a banana one.  The ingredients are simple and preparation time is reasonable.  If you are one that has oily skin like me, the mask is suitable for you.  How to easily prepare this mask you will need:
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 tbsp of honey
  • An orange or lemon
  • A bowl
  • Stirring tool

Peel the banana and add it to the bowl.  Add 1 tbsp of honey and a few drops of lemon or orange juice to the bowl.  Mix all the ingredients. ** Apply to face and leave on for 15 min before rinsing off with a warm washcloth or a cool washcloth.

**Tip: The mask can be runny so before applying the mask freeze it in the fridge for about an hour.

Rating: 3.5/5
A little messy to clean up but it can be a nourishing mask. The mask was very soothing and reduced the redness in my face.

For more details please refer to this link: http://beauty.about.com/od/fragrance/r/bananamask.htm




Em:
For a super simple but effective mask for dry skin, I decided to make a yogurt & honey mask.  Yogurt can actually be used for all skin types.  For this mask I used plain whole yogurt which is better for dry skin.  However if you have oily skin use plain skim yogurt.  This is an old standby for me especially when I'm feeling lazy since it's so easy to make & very hydrating which is why I'm rating it a 5/5.

Here are the ingredients you will need:
  • 1 tsp of honey 
  • 2 tbsp of plain yogurt

    In a small dish, place the two ingredients and stir to combine.  Then apply the mixture on a clean face.  Wait 20 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.

For more info on benefits of a yogurt mask: http://www.livestrong.com/article/28292-benefits-yogurt-mask/




Rae:
I did an egg mask.  I took one egg and some honey to make my mask.  My mask is meant for oily skin types.  It works, my skin feels better.  You may make 3 types of masks using an egg.  This is simple.  I give it a 4/5.  Here are the ingredients you will need:
  • Egg white
  • Honey or Lemon
*FYI: The smell is bad at first, but it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment